Respite Care

Support as you need it.

Caring for someone can be stressful, and wherever possible, regular breaks should be planned for both carers and those receiving care.

Cobdenhealth can provide respite for a few hours, a night, a few days or weeks at a time; we'll work with you to create a respite plan that suits your needs. In our care, you can relax knowing your loved one will receive the very best quality of care.

Respite care is available ‘in home’ or at Cobdenhealth.

Contact us to discuss respite requirements, make a booking, or to arrange a facility tour.

Residential Care

We provide supported accommodation and personal care for people of all ages who are unable to live independently. Residents receive care in a comfortable and secure environment, with respect for individuality, independence and dignity.

Cobdenhealth will help you get organised for living in care at every step.

The Cobdenhealth Respite & Permanent Care application kit is located under 'Resources'.

Contact us to discuss your needs.

  • Residential Care Assessment

    The Aged Care Assessment Service (ACAS) will determine your eligibility for residential or respite care services.

    To arrange a referral, contact;

    My Aged Care on 1800 200 422

    ACAS on (03) 5561 9351

    Or chat with your local doctor or district nurse...

    Assessment involves cognitive screening,evaluating the ability to manage day-to-day activities (showering, cooking, cleaning, shopping), general health, and discussing what you want, or need. The assessment is required to determine your eligibility for the appropriate level of care, and the outcome of your assessment will be communicated with you.

  • Centrelink Assessment

    Complete a Centrelink Assessment Form and return it to Centrelink.

    You can obtain a Centrelink Assessment Form from any Centrelink office, download from their website, or ask for a copy at Cobdenhealth.

    Centrelink will assess your financial details to work out how much you need to pay towards the cost of care. Once Centrelink has reviewed your form, they will send you an outcome of assessment letter.

    A copy of this letter should to be provided to Cobdenhealth.

  • Understand your Financial Situation

    It is important to understand your options when considering residential care. We recommend you (or a delegated person on your behalf) consult a trusted financial professional that can assist you in understanding the financial decisions involved with accessing residential care.

    Check out the Moneysmart website and Common Questions to ask your Financial Adviser.

  • Understanding Residential Care Costs

    The Department of Social Services (DSS) sets the maximum fees for care and daily living expenses. The daily care fees cover costs such as nursing care, housekeeping and meals, and are paid by all residents.

    Residents with assets assessed as below threshold by DSS may be eligible for Government support with accommodation costs.

    There are 2 primary options for payment of accommodation costs:

    1. Refundable Accommodation Deposit (RAD) - also known as a lump sum 'bond', which is fully refunded at the end of a resident’s stay.

    2. Daily Accommodation Payment (DAP) - don't pay the lump sum 'bond' upfront, rather, the DAP is calculated from the Maximum Permissible Interest Rate on the Refundable Acommodation Payment, which is converted into a daily fee and charged fortnightly.

    The Department of Social Services sets the Maximum Permissible Interest Rate

    3.We can arrange for a combination payment if needed.- this means you can pay some money up front, and pay the remainding amount in the form of a Daily Acommodation Payment. This can be discussed with your financial planner or with the finance officer at Cobdenhealth (please note: Cobdenhealth staff are unable to provide legal advice, we can only discuss facts and calculate figures from the information as documented in our residential accommodation pricing statement, located below under ‘resources’)

  • Cobdenhealth Resident Agreements

    Before your stay, whether it be short or long term, we will provide you with our Resident Agreement which details the services we provide, the fees payable, and your rights and responsibilities as a valued resident of Cobdenhealth.

    Don’t worry - we will help you with the book work, and setting up your room so it's your own.

  • It's Your Choice

    You choose whether you want a blank canvas to personalise with your own things, or we can help furnish your room for you.

    We encourage residents to bring their beloved things to make them feel at home - we can customise some elements of the room to suit you,

    Our rotating seasonal menu is developed in consult with a dietician, so you know you're being served nutritous and delicious means, and they're cooked fresh using local suppliers! Menu selection accommodates special dietary needs as well as preferences, if you don't like it, we won't serve it to you.

    Friends and family are welcomed and encouraged to occasionally join residents for meals, just complete the Visior Meal Order Form and return to Admin at least 24hrs beforehand.

    We also have a generously sized private dining room that can be booked for celebrations.

    Residents are encouraged to participate in activities that promote their wellbeing, as they would at home – such as maintaining hobbies and going on outings. Let us know what you'd like to do and we can incorporate it into our Leisure & Lifestyle program!

  • Planning Your Care

    Residents have a personalised Care Plan developed in consultation with them, their family or designated support person/s, and the healthcare team.

    The Personal Care Plan identifies self-care and nursing requirements, as well as preferences for foods and activities.

    This plan is reviewed and updated monthly to ensure that changing care needs continue to be met. We seak with the resident, and call the resident's next of kin periodically to ensure they're happy with ther services provided by Cobdenhealth, and offer an opportunity for comments & suggestions.

    We provide a wide range of allied health services including podiatry, physiotherapy, psychology, audiology, and remedial massage to manage healthcare needs, and organise dentistry, optometry and other services as required.

End of Life Care

Our care is patient-centred to promote quality of life. When the time approaches for end of life care, we provide the highest quality services centred on the patient, their family and primary carers.

Our nursing staff get to know the patient’s values throughout their stay at Cobdenhealth, and their end of life wishes in order to ensure their physical, emotional, spiritual and practical needs are met.

We work together with the resident’s doctor and other health professionals to provide the best possible support, to manage quality of life for the resident and those close to them.

We ensure that residents and carers have access to information and other supports that are needed at this challenging time, and are available 24/7 to offer personal support to those experiencing end of life care.

Our palliative care support is available for community members (non-residents) on a fee-for-service basis.

We have a comfortably furnished, larger room in close proximity to the nurses’ station, with private 24hr access for ease of visiting by friends and family.


Please contact Cobdenhealth (03) 5595 3100 for further information and to discuss your needs.